Vocaforum  

(#11) Old
Zippy Zion Offline
Miku & Haku's 27th Fan
Zippy Zion will become famous soon enough

Default 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM

The founders of the United States felt that the common man had the right to maintain the ability to defend himself. Not only against the threats to his life but against threats to justice and liberty. Those founding fathers felt that when threatened by a force, whether it be from another country or from that man's own government, that the people had the duty to rise up against it and defend the things of value to them. The people that rose against King George fought the British Army with the same guns that they used to make their livings in the wilds of the early nation. The rights to own weapons is at the very heart of what the United States stands for.

You cite that the countries that have lower rates are economically and politically similar but that fails to address the culture. American culture and history is one of inequality despite the "Freedom for all" message that Americans hold as their creed. That inequality has bred a society full of mistrust and even hate that I'm sure no other country that is economically or politically similar has to contend with. Whenever two different groups of people come together there is always friction but in the United States we have all different groups of people trying to live together. There is a great spirit of cooperation that keeps us together but there are those that also feel that the differences are too great. It is those numerically few that cause the problems.

The simplest expression of the point that I am trying to make is that guns don't kill people. People kill people. People would go on killing each other with or without guns. Guns don't need to be controlled or banned. People need to be educated. They need to be taught from a young age about tolerance and accepting diversity. They need to abolish stereotypes and challenge preconceptions. Until these things are done, wherever there are different groups of people trying to be in the same place at the same time there will be friction and there exists the chance for violence. Guns aren't the enemy. Intolerance is the enemy.

EDIT: Wow... that was long. And uncharacteristically serious for me >_> also... I used big words. My brain hurts. On the other hand... OFF TOPIC RANT! I R TEH MAN!

Last edited by Zippy Zion; 03-22-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Mental breakdown after thinking too much
  Send a message via AIM to Zippy Zion Send a message via Skype™ to Zippy Zion 
  (#12) Old
Black Crystal Wisher Offline
ブラック◆クリスタルウィッシャー
Black Crystal Wisher is on a distinguished road

Default 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/backdoor_sopa/

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/snooping/

Send a message via AIM to Black Crystal Wisher Send a message via MSN to Black Crystal Wisher  
  (#13) Old
Zippy Zion Offline
Miku & Haku's 27th Fan
Zippy Zion will become famous soon enough

Default 03-23-2012, 02:42 AM

My voice has been sent. Thanks for the links BCW.

Send a message via AIM to Zippy Zion Send a message via Skype™ to Zippy Zion