PDA

View Full Version : .smd/.obj/.mtl to .pmd?

jaymeeraine
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I hope this has not been posted elsewhere, but after scouring Google, I found nothing that explained how to do conversions from any of the above file formats into .pmd without going through either a scripting program (which didn't work) or through a 3D modeling program (didn't work either).

So please, in a way that a dummy can understand, explain to me how this works. I am trying to download the HIGH POLY models from this site:

http://www.models-resource.com/cp/preview/game.php?id=3

The low poly models are fine - when I unzip, the .pmd file is sitting right there, and all I have to do is import it into MMD.

However, you'll see that if you download, for instance, the high-poly model of Cloud from that page, the resulting packet of files includes the textures, then three additional files - an .smd file, an .obj file, and an .mtl file (whatever the heck that is).

I don't care if I get it converted through a scripting program or through a 3D modeling program, so take your pick - but please, can someone just explain, step by step, how to do this?

Thanks in advance. Although actually, if I could just get the models to work and texture correctly in a 3D program, I do have some rigging knowledge, so if need be I can just do the skeletons from there. I attempted to import the model into Maya, and was successful up until the point where I attempted to assign the textures to the placeholder materials already provided.

akukame
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't really understand the question. It seems like the answer would be too simple. The .SMD file is the model. You just need a plugin to import that into whatever 3d modelling program you want to use. Then you can export as a .x file to get it into PMDEditor and finish the work.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm interpreting everything you wrote as "How do I open a .smd file?"

Krystal
08-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Um. Afaik Blender imports any kind of file (with the right plugin, and there are a tonne of plugins for it) and can export .pmd files?

akukame
08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Um. Afaik Blender imports any kind of file (with the right plugin, and there are a tonne of plugins for it) and can export .pmd files?

To my knowledge, Blender can export to more file types than it can import. For some strange reason. Like, it can export .x files, but can't import .x files.

Krystal
08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
I do know it can import .smd and .obj files though >_>

jaymeeraine
08-24-2011, 05:16 AM
Sorry, I meant I was I try to import an .smd or .obj file into MikuMiku, and it says the file type is unrecognized. So there is no way to import those file types directly into Miku? I imported it into Blender, but when I attempted to use python to export it again as a .pmd (the only plugins for Blender that I could find were python-based scripts to get the .pmd export option), the choice would appear, but it would not function.

TehBlizzy
08-24-2011, 05:34 AM
MMD only supports .PMD/.PMX models for the actual models, and .X format files for the accessories.

3DS Max supports the importing of .OBJ files without the need of any plugins. To export from 3DS to PMD Editor, you can either download the Panda DirectX exporter to export your model as .X to import into PMD, or you can use mariokart64n's PMD import/export plugin that you can find here on the forums to go directly to PMD from 3DS.

Of course, 3DS Max is far from free . I don't know anything else about any other programs or utilities so I can't help you there except to keep trying different Google searches for them D:

akukame
08-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Blender should export to .x fine though. So you can always convert to .x in blender (free).

jaymeeraine
08-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Blender should export to .x fine though. So you can always convert to .x in blender (free).

True..I thought .x files were only for accessories though?

TehBlizzy
08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
In MMD, yes. For PMD/PMX Editor, no. You use PMD/PMX Editor to import the .X which then allows you to save the model as a .PMD or .PMX (PMX is the newest version, supports alot more goodies)

jaymeeraine
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Oh! Great! I'll try that..thank you!

jaymeeraine
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, I was able to import the .smd file into 3DsMax, and pasted the pmd import/export plugins from this site into the plugins folder of the Max program. It appears to export the file as a .pmd, however, when I try to open the new, converted PMD file in MMD, it says it doesn't recognize it. =/ I attempted the same thing with the PMD Editor, and it appears to accept the file, however, no mesh appears after I import it.

TehBlizzy
08-25-2011, 02:48 AM
I think that has to do with some "Skin" modifier that the plugin looks for (Which I don't use since I import the raw model into PMXE to create bones/weights/etc.), so when a model doesn't have it, it won't export it correctly. That's why I just go from 3DS -> .X -> PMXE -> .PMD/PMX

http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx

That website has links to the different versions of the Pandasoft DirectX exporter for 3DS max (From 3 to the 2012 edition) and 64/32-bit systems.

jaymeeraine
08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you! You guys are so kind and helpful. I think I've almost got it now. Forgive my noobish tendancies. This whole conversion thing is a headache!

Do you find that your .smd loses all of its textures when you import it into Max? The plugin works great, and it will export the Max file as an .x into the PMD editor, and then exports again from the editor into a .pmd for MMD...all the bones and joints are all there (although when I try to manipulate them in MMD or the editor, nothing responds), and the whole model shows up white. Am I missing something when I import the .smd into Max? I'm not familiar with the program (I use Maya, which doesn't have any plugin support for .x or .pmd files and requires you to manually re-apply the textures and skin...even then, once you apply them, they do not apply properly and become distorted).

TehBlizzy
08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I've never messed with downloaded models but make sure you have the .PMD model in the same folder as the textures.

I just attempted to export my Madoka model from .PMD to .X using 3DS and I can't even get PMXE to import the .X version of the model XD

I'm really not familiar with importing/exporting models that already have bones/weights into 3DS so I'm not sure if some parts are transferred across or not. In PMD Editor, change the view type in the Model view window from Normal to Weight, and select a few bones in the bone list and see if anything turns red on the model. If nothing happens on any of the bones, that means the weights weren't converted and were lost D: If the model does turn red, then the weights are still set.

jaymeeraine
08-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah,you're right...ripped game models are likely a lot more glitchy. But, I think I have a better idea of how everything works now. Thank you so much for helping me!

TehBlizzy
08-26-2011, 12:39 AM
No problem. (: Good luck~

Nikky
10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
This was a pain for me too.. but now I have no problem ripping and converting models. I have downloaded all the needed plugins of course.. but, if this can help anyone, I use UmodelGUI to extract models from a game. Their formati is a .psk so I open them with Milkshape, then convert them into a .x file so I can load them into PMD. It's important to change the model size before exporting, because Milkshape makes too big models. In case their still too big or smaller than they should be, I use PMD Size changer.

Other options: Blender or 3D Max. We can export the model into a .obj file (if it isn't already), then import it in Blender and exporting in .x file. Same with 3D Max (but I Think Blender is better).

So, basically, I downloaded a plugin for Blender that allows me to export into Direct X format. Milkshape already has that option, if I am not wrong...

About textures, if they are in the same directory as the .x file, everything should be ok.

In the end, if we save the model in PMD Editor, the format will change normally into .pmd.

mariokart64n
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
soo many converting steps lol

the SMD format is soo simple I could just write a standalone executable to directly convert the SMD to PMD with the click of a button

the SMD format is a very simple text format, all you have to do is parse that and carry it over into a PMD structure

you'd still need to do alot of work in the PMDeditor though, cause SMD only holds geometry and the rig/weights. it won't have the extra data the PMD usually has on a MMD model.

..like Morphs, BoneTypes, Collision/physics and extra names

Nikky
10-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Exporting the model in Direct x format with Milkshape, you will have the bones too. You just have to rename them in Japanese and they work (except for the legs, they always need ik bones). You just have to modify their size with PMD Size changer if they look huge.